fredag den 29. oktober 2010

A few stories from my life

I have a friend who is way too smart for his own good. This guy went back for a Top 25 (USA) MBA in his late 30s because he was having trouble keeping jobs. At age 38 his resume was nothing but a list of short one or two year stints at various corporations. Then he got the MBA around age 40 or 41 which led to a banking job that lasted about two years until the company imploded. Now he’s been unemployed for over year surviving as a temp. He has a wife and young teen at home.
This guy is so intelligent that he can sleep through finance and stats course exams and end up with the highest score in the class. Whenever the prof shows the bell curve for exam results, this guy is always the outlier to the right.
I recently hired him to help me finish a project and realized that he is incapable of acknowledging anyone else’s contribution. Only his has value and matters.
What a friggin’ ego on this guy. What a waste.
And
Eben Pagan tells us in the Wake Up Productive program that completing on tasks gives you a shot of energy. This is nothing new as I have heard it before from other gurus.
Well, I just experienced this phenomenon dramatically. Last night I didn’t get a good night’s sleep (maybe 4 hours instead of the desired 7), so today I’m feeling awful. This feeling is exacerbated by having something unpleasant to complete today. So I spend the morning procrastinating and feeling worse by the hour. Fifteen minutes ago I start telling myself that if I take a short nap, I will feel better and be able to do the unpleasant task.
Then I just decide to tackle it immediately. Within minutes it’s done and *presto!* instant rush of energy. No more need for a nap. Now I’m going out in the sun for a reward.
Pay heed procrastinators!
and last but not least
Well, I live in Wien, Austria. City population is something like 2 million and Turkish population in the city is 400k-700k. Those people are Muslims but the question is how?
1- Drinking alcohol is not allowed in Islam, but they drink.
2- Eating pork is not allowed in Islam, but they eat steakhouse burger in McDonalds which contains pork.
3- They have to go to mosque every friday, but they don’t go.
… bla bla
So under these conditions if they are Muslims, I am Muslim too :-D , actually we all.
Yes it’s true there are millions of Muslims in Europe, but mentally they have changed.
If you ever been in Vienna, you can clearly see Philippino, Asian and Black people population beats the total Muslim population. (I know that there are a lot of Muslims from Phi, Asian and Black people but most likely they are Christian, Budist etc.) But somehow people in Europe don’t see them as threat!
Example;
Standart salary in all McDonalds in Vienna: 900€ / month
Due Immigration Stuff, Philippinos getting paid: 300-400€ / month in McDonalds.
So, McDonalds able to 3 Philippino employee in cost of 1 Austrian citizen. 300€ is very good amount in Philippines.
Then what happens? Philippinos are everywhere in McDonalds, McDonalds makes great profit but pay less to workers, McDonalds get rich, native Austrian remains un-employed.
Note: I don’t care about McDonald’s policy stuff about employees. This is just an example but a good one

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar